Map loading, please wait ...

The Santa Creu Hospital is located between Hospital Street and Carme Street, in the city of Barcelona, right in the centre of the Raval district.

This building, which currently houses the National Library of Catalonia and the Massana School, was built in 1401. The objective of the construction of this hospital was to unify the different hospitals that already existed in Barcelona (Desvilar or de la Almoina hospital, Marcús hospital, Colom hospital, Vilar or Sant Macià hospital, Santa Eulàlia hospital and Santa Margarida hospital). The building was located where the Colom hospital used to be.

Although in the initial project for the Hospital de la Santa Creu it was to have four large two-storey buildings, this project was not carried out. We know, therefore, that in 1406 the east nave was built, between 1406 and 1509 the north nave was built, and in 1509 the west nave was built. A cloister with a ribbed vault was also built between these naves.

The construction of a church was also completed in 1444. This church was reformed in the eighteenth century with the addition of a new tower, and the construction of a baroque portal decorated with the image of Charity.

Over time, elements were added to this building, and in the center of the courtyard, the old cistern is covered with a small temple crowned by a stone image of St. Paul, made by Lluís Bonifaç in 1689.

During the Spanish Succession War, in the Bourbon sites of Barcelona (1706 and 1713 to 1714), the Santa Creu Hospital welcomed the wounded, both from the Bourbon side and the austracist side. All the incomes of the wounded soldiers were recorded in the entrance books.

In 1930, the hospital was moved to a new building, and the Santa Creu hospital became the headquarters of the Library of Catalonia, from 1931, the headquarters of the Massana School, from 1935, and the headquarters of the Institute of Catalan Studies from 1982.