The Church of Mare de Déu de l’Ajuda, also known as the church of Sant Fruitós, Santa María of the Women or Good Luck Virgin, is located at the foot of the Puigsagordi mountain range, within the municipality of Balenyà.
The first mention we have of this church dates from 955, although it did not have parish functions until 1031. It is believed that this church was the old centre of Balenyà.
This church is attached to the house of the old rectory. In front of the church is the enclosure of the old cemetery and the communicator. In spite of having Romanesque origins, this building has been modified throughout history, and today we can observe a mixture of architectural styles.
We can see the remains of the Romanesque building in a part of the external façade, where we can see a decoration of blind Lombard arcades. Part of the original Romanesque bell tower is also preserved, with Lombard bands and twin windows.
In this building we can also see Gothic elements, such as the last floor of the bell tower, as well as the polygonal apse that replaced the Romanesque apse.
In 1654, during the French War, this church was looted and burned by French troops. It was decided to repair the church, and four side chapels were added, as well as the construction of the inn chapel. The fonda chapel is of baroque style, almost rococo, and we can see fine mouldings, rounded corners, a semicircular apse and a roof with a hemispherical dome.
The main façade is also baroque, and we can see a portal with carved stone with reliefs.
In the interior of the church we can observe some paintings, of modernist style, that decorate the main altar. These paintings were made by Joan Rifà in the second half of the 20th century.