The Llotja Market is located between Consolat de Mar Street and Isabel II Promenade, within the city of Barcelona.
This building was promoted by King Peter the Ceremonious, who authorized the construction of a large closed room to protect merchants from the inclement weather. The architect of this first building was Pere Arvei, and the Llotja Market was built between 1384 and 1397. This building was a large hall formed by three naves separated by semicircular arches supported by four columns.
As time went by, the original building was enlarged. In 1457 an upper floor was built, where the Consolat de Mar was installed.
During the Spanish Succession War, this building represented the first opera in Spain. On July 2, 1708, Antonio Caldara’s opera “Il più bel nome” was premiered. During the following months, several operas were sung in this building.
With the Bourbon occupation of the city of Barcelona in 1714, the operatic activity of this building came to a standstill. Due to the Spanish Succession War, this building became a military barracks. When the city of Barcelona was able to recover this building, works were carried out to modernise the building. These works were carried out between 1774 and 1802. In this remodelling, the Gothic room was covered, and the neoclassical rooms of the Board of Commerce were built, as well as the courtyard, where Neptune’s fountain is preserved.
In 1775, in this building was established the Free School of Design, and later the Academy of Fine Arts. From 1915 to 1994, it was the headquarters of the Barcelona Stock Exchange, and is currently the headquarters of the Barcelona Chamber of Commerce.