Throughout history, Ripoll has become one of the largest metallurgical centres in Catalonia. Its great products were nails and portable firearms.
One of the most emblematic forges in Ripoll is the Palau Forge, which is located on the banks of the Freser River. The first news we have of this forge dates from 1626, and it was in operation until 1977.
Originally, this forge was destined to work with iron, but in the middle of the 19th century, it changed the iron to copper. This change was a subsistence resource, since due to the evolution of a new iron and steel system, it was no longer profitable.
During the Civil War, this forge was requisitioned by the Generalitat of Catalonia to locate a war industry. As an industry of war, forced corrosion for ballistic missiles was manufactured.
Today, this forge is museumised, and is preserved quite intact. We can still observe a brick oven, with its wind box. There is also a hydraulic wheel that connects it to the camshaft that moves two hammers. There are also many other elements preserved in situ.