The Optical Telegraph Tower is located in Doctor Masriera Street, 16, in the urban centre of Vilassar de Mar, in the Maresme region.
The Optical Telegraph Tower was part of the military line, of optical telegraphy, of Barcelona – La Jonquera. This line came into operation in 1850.
The Optical Telegraphy was a system of visual signals made from an elevated point. It was an efficient way of transmitting information, quickly, from one point to another.
Nowadays, the Optical Telegraph Tower has been modified, and only the two lower floors have been preserved. The floor plan of the tower is square, and follows the standard model of Mathé’s civil optical telegraphy.