The Noon Bastion, also known as Maritime Wall, is located in Ocata Street, just next to the Station of France in the city of Barcelona.
These remains of the Maritime Wall of Barcelona began to be built during the sixteenth century. The Noon Bastion was built as a defensive reinforcement to counteract artillery force. This extension of the Barcelona wall, proposed by Emperor Charles, was initiated by the increased threat of piracy.
The extension works of the wall of Barcelona lasted about 150 years, as different technical and financing problems appeared. However, just before the Spanish Succession War, the city of Barcelona was already protected by eleven bastions and a dense wall.
The Noon Bastion was the point of protection for the city of Barcelona from attacks from the sea.
During the seizure of the city of Barcelona, during the Spanish Succession War, the Noon Bastion became one of the most violent scenarios. On September 11, 1714, in the attack by the Bourbon troops on the city of Barcelona, these troops managed to reach the Noon Bastion where the detachment of 100 riflemen and artillerymen commanded by Colonel Anton Paperoles managed to stop the Bourbon troops. However, the Bourbon troops focused their artillery attack at this point, and managed to open gaps in the Noon Bastion. Even with the gaps, the troops defending the city of Barcelona were able to resist all the attacks they received. In the course of the attack, the captains defending the city of Barcelona, Josep Aguilar Alòs, and Miquel Castellarnau, were wounded. On the other hand, Colonel Anton Paperoles died defending the city of Barcelona.