The Monastery of Santa Maria de Lluçà is a building located in the centre of Lluçà, just at the foot of the hill of the Lluçà Castle.
Many people claim that the church of Santa Maria de Lluçà was founded in 905, as the document of consecration of this church has supposedly been preserved. However, this document of the year 905 is a falsification of the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, and we do not know the exact year of the consecration of this church. However, we can affirm that this church already existed in the tenth century.
During the 12th century, a canonical monastery governed by the rule of St. Augustine was founded in this church. This canonical monastery existed until the 16th century.
The present church of Santa Maria de Lluçà is the result of some reforms made during the 15th century to repair an old building from the 12th century. It is a nave with a small transept, with a central apse and an absidiola at each end. The roof of the church is formed by a barrel vault made of stone. The bell tower, with a square floor plan and three storeys high, was built between 1581 and 1661 in the Baroque style. The top floor of the bell tower has four windows for the bells, and ends with a roof that has a handrail made of wrought iron. The main façade of the church was also reformed in 1661, modifying the portal but preserving the Romanesque ironworks of the entrance. Around 1765, the chapel of the Blessed Sacrament was built next to the bell tower, and the interior of the church was decorated with plaster mouldings in a baroque style.
The cloister is adjacent to the church. It has small proportions and an irregular floor plan. Although this cloister originally had two floors in height, in 1967 the second floor was removed. The cloister has 18 arches supported by 22 columns with Romanesque capitals. The capitals are sculpted with vegetal and bestiary motifs. On the walls of the cloister, we can see two stone sarcophagi from the 13th and 14th centuries, as well as other worked stone sculptures. On the floor of the cloister, we can still see different anthropomorphic tombs. In the centre of the cloister, there is a well.
In this monastery you can still see several Gothic paintings discovered in 1954. These 14th century paintings were in the heart of the church.
We can also see a reproduction of an altar cross, as well as the 13th century Romanesque altar. The original works are conserved in the Episcopal Museum of Vic.