/* */

The Monastery of Sant Pere de les Puelles is located in the Sant Pere square, next to the Lluís Companys promenade.

The first preserved documentary mention of the Monastery of Sant Pere de les Puelles dates from 945, and was occupied by a community of Benedictine sisters. This building absorbed the old church of Sant Sadurní, which became an atrium of the new construction.

In 985, this monastery was destroyed by a raid of Al mansur, and Count Borrell II, along with Bishop Vives, promoted a reconstruction. In this reconstruction, the old church of Sant Sadurní was demolished.

In 1143, a Romanesque cloister, two storeys high, was already documented.

Between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, this monastery was the object of various bombardments, and became part of the first line of combat of the Eleventh of September 1714, during the Spanish Succession War.

During the confiscation of 1835, this convent was converted into a prison, which was in operation until 1873. At that time, the State decided to demolish this monastery, and only the church survived.

In 1909, during the Tragic Week in Barcelona, the church was looted and burned. The present church is the result of a disastrous restoration, carried out in 1911, which gives a false image of a neo-Gothic palace.

Although parts of the former Romanesque cloister are now conserved in the National Museum of Art of Catalonia (MNAC), we can still see remains in situ. Inside you can still identify part of the original Greek cross floor plan, where columns with Corinthian capitals are preserved, as well as some arched imposts with 10th century reliefs near the presbytery. The 15th century central apse, in Gothic style, is also preserved, although a poor restoration gave it a Romanesque appearance.