The Liceu Opera House is located on the Rambla of Barcelona, in the Ciutat Vella district, in the historic centre of the city of Barcelona.
This theater was built during the first half of the nineteenth century, on the site where the convent of the Trinitarians had been. At first, the architect in charge of designing this theater was Miquel Garriga Roca. However, in 1846 Joaquim de Gispert stopped the construction of the facade to promote a facade designed by the Frenchman Viguié. This decision was surrounded by a strong controversy.
Throughout its history, this building burned down in 1861 and in 1994.
At the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, Barcelona experienced the period of the Rose of Fire. Different anarchist movements went into direct action to fight for labour rights, and as a response to the repression they received from the city’s privileged classes. In the direct action acts, there were a large number of attacks in Barcelona, which made Barcelona known as the City of Bombs.
During the Rose of Fire period, there was an attack on the Liceu Opera House. On 7 November 1893, during the second act of the opera “Guillem Tell”, Santiago Salvador threw two bombs from the fifth floor of the stalls. The first bomb caused 20 dead and about 80 wounded. The second bomb did not explode, and is kept in the History Museum. Because of this attack, 7 people were arrested and sentenced to death. Among these people, Santiago Salvador and six others were arrested without evidence.
Santiago Salvador allegedly carried out this attack in retaliation for the shooting of Paulí Pallàs, the author of the attack on General Martínez Campos in Gran Vía.