The City House (Casa de la Ciutat) is part of the Barcelona City Council. The façade of the City House (Casa de la Ciutat) is located in Ciutat Street, next to Sant Jaume Square, in the historical centre of the city of Barcelona.
At this point, we can see the oldest facade, in Gothic style, of the current Barcelona City Hall. This facade was the main facade of the City House of Barcelona (Casa de la Ciutat).
The origins of the City House (Casa de la Ciutat) are linked to the Consell de Cent, during the fourteenth century.
This facade was built in 1399, and the person responsible for the work was Arnau Bargués. It can be said, therefore, that this facade was modified during the 19th century, when the works for the construction of the current main facade to the Sant Jaume square were carried out. In these works, the Gothic façade of the Barcelona City Hall was almost destroyed. Through the protests made by the Royal Catalan Academy of Fine Arts of Sant Jordi, and the Academy of Fine Arts of Barcelona, it was decided to preserve the facade, although it was mutilated. Due to these reforms, one of the stained glass windows that flanked the main door disappeared. In addition, the main door was moved to the right.
During the Spanish Succession War, and as was the tradition in case of a siege, the flag of Santa Eulalia was hung from the windows of the City House (Casa de la Ciutat), headquarters of Consell de Cent. This flag was only taken down on three occasions. The first was on 26th January 1641, at the Battle of Montjuïc. The second was in 1706, in another battle on Montjuïc. The last time it was taken down was during the siege of Barcelona on 11 September 1714. On this occasion, the flag was carried by the Councillor, Rafael Casanova, who was injured during the battle.