/* */

The Church of Santa Maria, in late Gothic and Baroque style, is located in the Church Square, in the town centre of Arenys de Mar, in the Maresme region.

Originally, Arenys de Mar was the fishermen’s quarter of Arenys de Munt. By the 16th century, Arenys de Mar had grown, and in 1574 it requested to have its own church, and a year later the bishop granted permission for the construction of a new Catholic building. This church did not become a parish until 1781.

Between 1583 and 1628, the new church was built by Joan de Tours and his sons, Joan and Dionis. This building was a mixture of Gothic and Renaissance styles. In fact, inside you can see how the Gothic ribs of the ribbed vaults rest on Doric-type Renaissance capitals.

In 1755 the church was extended, and the Baroque style façade, which can be seen today, was built, as well as the bell tower. This extension was directed by Fortià Anglada. In this baroque façade we can see a large door framed by smooth shaft columns with a rococo type decoration, and it has a mixtilinear crowning.

Between 1777 and 1789 this church was extended again, and the Chapel of the Dolors was built, designed by the architect Joan Mas.

In the 19th century, the Santíssim chapel was built, and the bell tower was transformed into an octagonal bell tower and crowned by a small temple added in 1911, as well as the communion hall with a sloping roof made of glazed ceramics.

From this church we can highlight the magnificent high altarpiece, which was made between 1706 and 1711 by the sculptor Pau Costa. This altar is one of the most important baroque altarpieces in Catalonia, together with the Cadaqués altarpiece and the Miracle de Riner altarpiece.