The Chapel of Sant Llàtzer, also known as the Chapel of the Virgin of the Sick, is located in the Padrón Square, in the Raval district of the city of Barcelona.
This chapel was built during the 12th century and was part of the old Hospital de Mesells, a hospital founded by Bishop Guillem de Torroja, which was dedicated to lepers.
This chapel has a single nave with a semicircular apse at the head. The apse, which is visible from the garden of Martina Castells Ballespí, is decorated with lessens and blind arches decorated with masks and pineapples. In the middle of the apse there is a semicircular window, with archivolt and decorated capitals.
On the main façade you can still see an entrance door with a semicircular arch. Above the door there is a baroque niche crowned by a room with a shell-shaped sphere and floral decoration. The main façade is crowned by a belfry arch with two bell arches.
Inside, the chapel is covered by three groin vaults. There is also a baroque chapel of the Holy Sepulchre, which has a false oval vault made of carved wood with elements of rockery and polychrome.
In 1954, Barcelona City Council began a project to recover the old Chapel through the architect Adolf Florensa. An archaeological excavation was also carried out in 1989.
Between 2007 and 2008, this chapel housed a Social Services Centre in the Raval district, and is currently the headquarters of the community of Saint Egidi in Barcelona.