The Cathedral of Sant Pere, of medieval origins, is located in the Cathedral Square, in the urban centre of the city of Vic, in the region of Osona.
The first documentary mention we have of the Osona diocese is from the year 516. With the Christian conquest of the territory of Al-andalus, between 879 and 888, the Osona diocese was created again. The construction of the Cathedral of Sant Pere began in 1003 by the bishop abbot Oliba, and it was consecrated in 1038. The bell tower, which is still preserved today, was built in 1064.
The Cathedral of Sant Pere has a Gothic cloister that was started in 1318, although its construction lasted until the 15th century. Among others, Ramon Despuig, Bartolomeu Ladernosa and Antoni Valls took part in the construction of this cloister.
Vic Cathedral was rebuilt in 1781 by the architect Josep Moretó Codina. This new building was consecrated in 1803.
The Cathedral of Sant Pere is divided into three naves by quadrangular pillars and is covered with hemispherical vaults. On the sides of the naves, there are six chapels on each side.
The Romanesque parts preserved in are the crypt and the bell tower. The bell tower is 46 metres high. It is divided into six floors separated by friezes of blind arches and saw tooth. On the two lower floors there are loophole windows and lessens that divide the walls in two. On the third floor there is also a central lessen that separates two semicircular windows. On the fourth floor there are twin windows separated by columns with capitals. On the last two floors there are three-hole windows with columns. The top floor is a rear addition.
This cathedral also has a Gothic cloister, where the first floor has large windows with stone openwork skylights supported by three fine columns. Both the capitals and the skylights are decorated with figurative scenes. At the top of this cloister there is a floor that was built to house a library, and where there is a wooden altarpiece from the 16th-18th centuries.
The façade is of neoclassical style, and has three entrance doors. The central door is the most spectacular, and has two columns on each side, with a large niche at the top.
Inside, you can still see the Baroque chapel of Sant Bernat Calbó.
During the Spanish Civil War, Vic Cathedral was burnt down. Although the committee of Anti-Fascist Militias of Vic, chaired by Francesc Freixanet, tried to safeguard the buildings and religious people of Vic, on July 21, 1936 militiamen from other towns arrived in Vic. At first it was believed that the new militiamen were from Hospitalet de Llobregat, but from direct witnesses, we know that the militiamen were from Santa Coloma de Gramanet. These militiamen destroyed different religious buildings in Vic, among them the Cathedral of Vic. In the Cathedral they set fire to it, and the whole interior, together with the roof, was strongly affected. Once the Civil War was over, it was reformed and reopened to the public.
The Baroque urn of Sant Bernat Calbó, designed by Joan Matones, was saved from the fire. It was also possible to save the main Gothic altarpiece of Saint Peter and Saint Mary, sculpted by Pere Oller, as well as other figures.
Currently, the interior of the cathedral has some paintings by Josep Maria Sert, who painted the cathedral twice. One before it was burnt down and the other after the Civil War these paintings represent the cycle of the mystery of the redemption.
With Josep Maria Sert’s characteristic style, there is a predominance of masses and voluminous figures of great strength, with a great contrast of chiaroscuro.