/* */

The Cathedral of Barcelona is located in the Cathedral Square, in the Ciutat Vella district, in the historical centre of the city of Barcelona.

In the place where the Cathedral of Barcelona is currently located, there was an old paleochristian basilica from the 4th century AD. This basilica was replaced, in the eleventh century, by a Romanesque cathedral. During the 13th century, it was decided to build a new building in the Gothic style.

The construction of the Gothic building made the old Romanesque building disappear almost completely. Thanks to archaeology, we know that for the construction of the Gothic cathedral, the Romanesque building was gradually dismantled.

The Cathedral of Barcelona has three naves, with a single apse with ambulatory and radial chapels. In the foothills of the building side chapels are opened. The vaults of the naves are ribbed, from which the polychrome keystones can be seen. In addition, under the high altar is the crypt of Santa Eulàlia, which is covered with a very low vault and in which is the marble tomb of Santa Eulàlia from 1339.

The main façade of the Cathedral of Barcelona was finished during the 19th century, and has a Neo-Gothic style. The main door is decorated by an apostolate of Àgapit Vallmitjana. However, for a long time, the main door was the side door of Sant Iu, which was built during 1298. In fact, next to the Sant Iu door, we can still see remains of the Romanesque building, such as the reliefs, sculpted during the 12th century, that are on the sides of the door. In this relief we can see the representations of the fights of man against the beasts. In addition, very close to the Sacristy, there are still the remains of an old wall, with very narrow windows and framed with columns, corresponding to the Romanesque building.

In the cloister there are two doors that give access, the door of La Pietat, decorated with a wooden relief on the tympanum from the 15th century, and the door of Santa Eulàlia. The cloister can also be accessed from the Chapel of Santa Llúcia, which was built between 1257 and 1268.

The cloister has four wings, covered with a ribbed vault, which opens with pointed arches into a garden with a pond. Of the four wings, three are surrounded by chapels. In the north wing, there are the chapels of Santa Llúcia, the Sala de la Capbrevació, the Aula Capitular, and the Sala Capitular (which is covered by a star vault and where the tomb of Sant Oleguer and the Christ of Lepanto are located).

In the middle of Barcelona Cathedral is the heart of stone built between 1390 and 92 by Jordi de Déu. Inside there is the choir stall, made by Pere Sanglada in 1394-99, and which is one of the jewels of Catalan Gothic.  On one side of the heart there is a wooden highchair, made by Pere Sanglada in 1403, which is accessed by a stone staircase with sculptures by Jorge Juan. On the opposite side, there is the Episcopal chair.

In the interior of the Cathedral of Barcelona, in addition, you can still observe the transcorum and some altarpieces of Renaissance style, as well as the organ and some altarpieces of Baroque style.