Cal Casals is an old factory, today a private house, located in the Old Square, inside the village of Prats de Lluçanès.
This Modernist-style building was built by Pere Arcs between 1883 and 1886 to make mattresses. This factory operated until 1953-1954. Years after its closure, this building was bought by Ramon Casals, and located, in this building, a factory of espadrilles.
It is a building of considerable dimensions, structured with a ground floor and two floors. The battlements on the main façade give it a fortified appearance.
The whole façade is made of worked stone. On the ground floor there are three large openings with lowered arches. On the first floor, there are two balconies flanking a window. The three openings on this floor have pilasters and a small decorative pediment. The second floor has 14 small arches of half a turn, made with exposed work. It also uses wrought iron elements decorated with floral motifs.
After the end of the Spanish Civil War, after the Franco occupation of Prats de Lluçanès on 3 February 1939, this building was used as a temporary chapel to say mass. In fact, during the first months of Franco’s occupation of Prats de Lluçanès, the church of Sant Vicenç had to be repaired due to the damage suffered during the war. While the parish church was being refurbished, some rooms on the ground floor of this building were used to hold different liturgical events.