The Basilica of Santa Maria is located in the Santa Maria Square s / n, in the urban centre of Mataró, in the Maresme region.
The first documentary news preserved of this building, dates back to 1054. During the fourteenth century, a Gothic building was built, and during the sixteenth century a new Gothic building with three naves was constructed. From this second Gothic building, the lower part of the bell tower and the pointed arches of the side chapels are preserved. In 1675 an extension was made to this building, and the work lasted until 1754. The current façade was built in the 19th century by the architect Gaietà Simón. This building became a Basilica in 1928.
The current Basilica of Santa Maria is a building in the Baroque and Neoclassical style, with a single nave covered by lunette vaults, and side chapels between the buttresses.
The main facade is made up of two different bodies. The lower body is divided by five Corinthian pillars. The upper body, there are three sectors, differentiated by four Corinthian pillars, and with a large rose window in the centre. At the top of these two bodies, there are different chapels with sculptures inside.
Inside the buildings, on the sides of the naves, there are several chapels. We can highlight the Dolors chapel, decorated and painted by Antoni Viladomat with a marked baroque style. We can also highlight the chapel of the Rosary, which still has a Baroque altarpiece by Antoni Riera Mora (1641 to 1703). Another highlight is the altarpiece of Saint Nicholas, which is also baroque in style.
Inside the Basilica of Santa Maria, there is also a large organ. This was built in 1927 by Gaietà Estadella. This organ was restored in 1974 by Georges Lhote and Gabriel Blancafort.
During the Spanish Civil War, this church was looted and burned, and many of the Baroque elements inside were destroyed.